Thursday, May 26, 2005

What's good for the goose

Cross posted at Political Arguments.

The name game is, by now, long forgotten, but the NYT Magazine doesn't know it.

My name is Arpard Herschel Fazakas -- or at least it was until last year, when, at age 51, I changed it. I wanted a name that everyone could say and spell on the first try, not to mention one that wasn't awkward and embarrassing for me. I thought my life would become easier as a result.

Having gone through all that, would he expect his wife to change her name?

"I miss Art Fazakas. I miss being Art Fazakas," he writes. "Recently, to my own surprise, I have started to sign my name Faz. . . . My sneaking sense is that Segal is not really me, and that I might indeed want to change my name back. 'Just do it,' my friends say. 'Be proud of Fazakas.' But I hesitate."

"Be proud of Fazakas." Now there's a catch-phrase.